2017 NCPA COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
Eligibility: College-bound seniors in the Sacramento area who are interested in pursuing a career in
writing, journalism, or publishing.
Deadline: Wednesday, March 15, 2017.
Award: $1,000, paid directly to the college of the winner’s choice to support tuition.
Excerpts from top applications may appear in an NCPA publication.
How to enter: Submit the application as email attachment to NCPASacramento@gmail.com
For more information: Visit www.norcalpa.org or contact: 2017 NCPA College Scholarship
Chair June Azevedo email@example.com
NCPA SCHOLARSHIP RULES AND REQUIREMENTS
There are two parts to the application.
Part I. - A set of five short-answer questions. Each answer is worth a maximum of 10 points, totaling
50% of the overall score.
Part II. - An original work (fiction, non-fiction, personal story) of 750 to 1,000 words. The portion is worth 50 points, or 50% of the overall score.
2017 COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM APPLICATION
English or Journalism Teacher
Best hours to reach
Certification: By submitting this application, I pledge that I meet the eligibility and application requirements listed on page 2. I give permission for my application to be included in whole or in part in an NCPA publication. I understand that my work may be edited in accordance with standard editing practices.
Questions – Responses up to 200 words each – Do not duplicate answers.
1. What are your interests and goals related to writing, journalism or publishing? How do you plan to use your time in college to advance these goals? (10 points)
2. What have you done to prepare yourself to become a writer, journalist, or publisher? Include extracurricular activity, if any - writer’s group, newspaper class, year book club, etc. (10 points)
3. Describe what you have written – journals, short stories, poetry, creative writing assignments, etc. Have any been published? If so, where? (10 points)
4. Name a writer (author, journalist, biographer, etc.) whom you admire and explain why. (10 points)
5. Describe an aspect of writing form or content that you think makes a piece of writing (a book or article or blog post or email or whatever) “good.” (10 points)
An original work (fiction, non-fiction, personal story) of 750 to 1,000 words.
Submit a 750-1,000 word story (fiction or non-fiction) to show your originality as a writer, journalist, or publisher.